Monday, April 22, 2013

less guilt more delight this EarthDay

Steeb's mini garden project last summer didn't produce much other than joy.

 I make all my products from recycled materials. But I don't have any clever tips or tricks or crafts for you today. And I don't want you to feel guilty about wherever you are on the spectrum of environmentalism. It's not that I don't want us all to work together to make the world a better place to live for the next say, seven generations. I do. But I know that it has to be enjoyable if lifestyle choices are going to last longer than a new year's resolution.

Today I am offering a friendly reminder that often the thing that is better for the environment is also more delicious, more economical, more beautiful and more fun. So ride your bike because the lilac scented wind feels lovely through your hair this time of year. Plant a garden because it brings wonder and rhythm into your yard and fresh herbs make cocktail hour divine. Leave your car at home occasionally because it's cheaper than a gym membership or a therapist and you won't be stressed out circling for a parking spot. Buy a gift from moth and squirrel because cashmere, colorful cotton and one of a kind stitched designs will be cherished for years.

No comments: