Monday, February 09, 2009

The Rad-ening





Every year I see my first snow drops of the season the first week in february, right around the cross quarter day of Imbolic, halfway between winter solstice and spring equinox. Goddess wise it means the crone of winter is dead and the maiden of spring is taking over. The milk begins to flow again as animals in pasture give birth. Adrienne says it's also called The Quickening. Steeb noted that on these early sunny days all the skateboarders come out again. So I called it The Radening. That subtle shift in attitude when you realize it won't be grey and cold forever, that you can survive another year.
This weekend I went out to the Quinault rainforest with my parents. Most everything was moss draped and soggy as usual. The Radening could be seen in the tiny pink buds swelling on green huckleberry bushes. I took about a hundred photos on a little walk and almost none of them came out, the camera just couldn't focus on the slight branches in front of all the other layers of green and brown and red and grey.

No comments: