Thursday, January 15, 2009

save handmade toys and their makers

I can't believe I am just hearing about this, is this on the news? The Consumer Product Safety Commission passed a great law to protect people from lead and other toxins in children's products. Unfortunately, the law, if not clarified, would turn my little creatures into contraband. The law requires safety testing on all products intended for children 12 and under.This includes books, clothing, and all the sweet handmade natural toys out there. The tests run several hundred dollars per item. As someone who specializes in one of a kind items, that sort of testing would be impossible. Without consideration for scale of business or original materials used, this law will seriously fuck many small business owners. Check out the Handmade Toy Alliance (link to the left)for more info. I just sent e-mails to my representative and senators.

No comments: