Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Urban Craft Uprising August 1 & 2 in Seattle

I have been sewing up a storm despite this unusual northwest heat wave. Mercifully, the air conditioning was turned on in the funky studios which has allowed me to put in 8 hour days. I sold so many baby caps at market this week I need to double my production to be ready for the UCU this saturday.

The heat and the push to produce has me listening to some serious rock.
After a mellow warm up (planning the day, cutting fabric) listening to something like Beruit or the Cave Singers it goes straight to guitars. Most frequently I play The Breeders Last Splash, Liz Phair Exile in Guyville and the Soundtrack to Dogtown and Z boys which ends with the sweetness of Rod Stewart's Maggie Mae and a chance to stretch out and do an air mandolin solo. Also in heavy summer sweaty work rotation is the soundtrack to The Wackness.

I do mix in contemporary music, but there is something invigorating about what you listened to as a teenager that gives you the energy to keep working despite your 30something aches and pains.

No comments: